Saturday, July 14, 2007

Pointing to the future

So I went to see Anne speak last night for her book signing.

( She has a new book coming out- "And then, you act- making art in an unpredictable world" Don't go looking for it. For some really stupid reason they only printed 60 copies. But I got one)

Anyway, it really drove home to me how truly brilliant she is. I was riding the train home from work today and I started reading the book. It is made up just like "A Director Prepares" with chapters dedicated to one thought- context, articulation, intention, attention, etc. etc. As I'm standing there waiting to get uptown I got to a part in the book that completely stopped everything that was going on around me.

All sound ceased, it floored me, and actually moved me to tears surrounded by strangers. I'll let her words do the rest.

"My friend Morgan Jenness admired Mother Theresa, now Blessed Mother Theresa, and at difficult personal junctures, the mere thought of her provided inspiration. Although now a playwright's agent, Megan worked for many years with the legendary producer Joseph Papp at the New York Shakespeae Festival in New York City. One day, feeling especially depressed about her sense of uselessness in the world, Morgan heard that Mother Theresa would be in Manhattan. She dropped everything and headed to the Indian Embassy in the hope that she might appear. Standing outside the embassy Mother Theresa did emerge, surrounded by an entourage, and Morgan managed to capture her attention. She stopped, turned, looked Morgan right in the eyes and asked "What can I do for you?" In the midst of her surprise and awe, Morgan described her work in the theatre and how she had lost her will as she did not see any usefulness in it and then and there declared her determination to go to India and be of use. Mother Theresa spoke sternly, "There are many famines. In my country there is a famine of the body. In your country there is a famine of the spirit. And that is what you must feed."
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

It still sends chills down my arms. Wittgenstein said "If you cannot say it, point to it."

I'm pointing folks.

Thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home